In this post I like to point out some updated licensing options for Microsoft Teams regarding telephony, common area phones and meeting rooms.
The hereinafter described license options might be subject to change. Moreover not all licenses or subscriptions are available in every country around the globe, especially calling plans and audio conferencing (shortened: Audioconf.).
Teams Licensing Basics
- Microsoft Teams is a single service of the massiv Microsoft 365 services stack which it tightly linked and integrated within this service stack.
- Microsoft Teams is part of a “packaged” Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions by default.
- Microsoft Teams “replaces” Skype for Business Online (SFB Online EOL date July 31, 2021). The Skype for Business Desktop Client within Office 365 ProPlus is also obsolete, meaning that new (full) Office 365 ProPlus installation will get a Teams instead of a Skype for Business Client.
The following slides and drawing are intended to provide you with an overview on licensing options. I also point out what you should take into account in case of Teams Direct Routing (TDR), in this post and following drawings I call a TDR scenario a “hybrid” scenario.
Telephony with Teams (for users)
Call Queues (CQ) and Auto Attendants (AA)
Resource accounts for CQ/AA need a license. Till 01.07.2019 you had to license these users with typical user licenses. Now you can buy and assign a free “Phone System Virtual User license”.
At the bottom I’ll add a link to a well-written how-to post “Add a free licence to Call Queues and Auto Attendants (Microsoft Teams)” from ucgeek.com which describes how to buy and assign the license.
Teams Common Area Phone (CAP)
Teams Meeting Room
Conclusion, opinion and summary
The above drawings quickly depict how you can license users, common area phones, meeting room devices and even call queues or auto attendants for Microsoft Teams.
- Microsoft Teams PSTN telephony licensing update for SMBs
- Microsoft Teams Licensing Notes [Update July 2019]
- Microsoft Teams Licensing Notes
- Add a free licence to Call Queues and Auto Attendants (Microsoft Teams)
- Office 365 licensing for Microsoft Teams
- Manage resource accounts
- Microsoft Teams Rooms licenses
In this post I’d like to highlight and share resources about Teams devices and IP Phones. Does one of the following questions or even both apply to you?
- Are you planning to transition your conference rooms to collaborative spaces and rooms?
- Are you planning to migrate telephony completely or partially to Microsoft Teams?
In both cases, to begin planning, I recommend to browser to and do not miss to check the below links. Microsoft as well as third-party vendors offer a wide range of devices to cover your needs by leveraging the Microsoft Teams platform. The best place to go and check for (certified) devices is the “Microsoft Teams Devices Marketplace”. There you’ll find …
- Speaker phones
- Desk phones
- Room systems
- Conference phones and
Conclusion, opinion and summary
I recommend to take a look on the linked pages to get an overview on available certified devices.
If you are about to start your journey towards Microsoft Teams it might help you assess your users/rooms /spaces requirements and to create suited personas (e.g. 6-Seat-Room –> Surface Hub, Office Information Worker –> Notebook + wired Headset, Assistant –> Notebook + Mobile + Teams IP Phone xyz).
- Microsoft Teams Devices Marketplace https://products.office.com/en-us/microsoft-teams/across-devices/devices/category?devicetype=34
- Microsoft Teams IP Phones and Intune Enrollment https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Microsoft-Teams-IP-Phones-and-Intune-Enrollment/ba-p/330432
- Bringing Intelligent Communication in Microsoft Teams across devices https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-Teams-Blog/Bringing-Intelligent-Communications-in-Microsoft-Teams-across/ba-p/170324
- Manage your devices in Teams https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/device-management
- Microsoft Surface Hub https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/business/surface-hub
- Yealink T58A series: https://www.yealink.com/products_43.html
- Audiocodes C450HD Native Teams IP Phone (Demo): AudioCodes C450HD Native Microsoft Teams IP Phone