First of all, happy new year! I’m looking forward to all the new opportunities, features, services and integrations around communication and collaboration at the modern or digital workplace. The fresh new year will bring us some new capabilities to do more with Microsoft Teams as well as related apps or services.
To me, the most noticeable Microsoft Teams capabilities which we’ll probably see in 2019 are (01/01/2019 might be subject to change):
- Shared Line Appearance – Allows multiple calls on a single phone number with delegates who can answer the calls.
- Call Park – Park a call “on hold” and grab the call from another endpoint to resume the call by using an unique code, e.g. #150.
- Location Based Routing (LBR) – Route PSTN voice calls based on the location, e.g. emergency call outbreaks for roaming users…
- Group Call Pickup – This enables a group of users to pickup / grab an incoming call for a colleague.
- Yammer Tab in Teams (Preview) – Easily access Yammer via a tab
- SharePoint web parts as tabs in Teams – Direct access SharePoint web parts via a tab in Teams
- Screen sharing in a private chat session – Without calling you can share you screen
- Support for Oracle SBCs in Direct Routing
- Safe Links Protection for Microsoft Teams – Protects users from opening bad / malicious links
- Create an org-wide team (for up to 2,500 users) in Microsoft Teams
- Broadcast Meetings – Town-hall-stlye / large meetings via Teams
- Team Templates – Pre-define Teams and re-use this template to provision a team
- Manage Teams from Admin Center
- Compact Mode – A lightweight client experience for users who might not need all the rich experience elements as in the default client view (https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/17408641-compact-mode)
The above mentioned features and capabilities might be subject to change. This post is just a list to quickly recognize what we could get soon with Microsoft Teams. For more, stay tuned here or directly on the Microsoft 365 Roadmap:
- Microsoft 365 Roadmap [filter set on: “In Development”,”Rolling Out”,”teams”] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=In%20Development%2CRolling%20Out&searchterms=teams
- Microsoft Teams User Voice (don’t forget to vote for capabilities/features you like or post your ideas here and get it voted) https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public