Microsoft now enabled Teams Voice Administrators to enable/disable/change phone numbers for Direct Routing deployments via Teams Admin Center. This eliminates the requirement to use Teams Shell to manage Teams Direct Routing Phone Numbers.
Thanks to Martin Heusser (LinkedIn/Twitter) for sharing this feature update via LinkedIn which originally came from Jamie Stark (Microsoft Program Manager in Microsoft Teams on Twitter). There was no feature item listed on the official Microsoft 365 roadmap.
So, this updated directly caught my attention and surprised me. Personally, I did not expect to get this heavily requested feature (by all Teams Voice Administrators) soon because there were no news around this circulating. Nevertheless, now we can be pleased to have it. Let me quickly show you where you can change Direct Routing phone numbers in the Teams Admin Center.
How to change a phone number for a Teams Direct Routing user?
Until recently you had to start a Teams PowerShell and run the cmdlet, for example:
Set-CsUser -Identity firstname.lastname@example.org -LineUri "tel:+49711999999999999" -EnterpriseVoiceEnabled $true -HostedVoiceMail $true
Now that it is available in the Teams Admin Center you can find the option as follows.
Open Teams Admin Center and go to Users and its sub-menue Manage users
Search for and open the user’s account for whom you would like to add/change/remove a phone number.
After you found the user’s account, click on Edit in the General information area.
On the right an overlay opens. Wherein you can select the phone number type “Direct Routing” and enter a phone number (without +, added automatically) like 49711999999999.
In case you want to remove/delete an assign phone number you just have to clear the “Assigned phone number” field and hit “Apply”.
That’s it. Enjoy.
- Jamie Stark auf Twitter: “New voice stuff in #MicrosoftTeams admin center today includes Direct Routing number assignment, Resource Account search (now using ConfigAPI, along w/DR config), BW Mgmt Policy, MoH policy & more. Try it out & LMK if you see anything goofy; a couple regressions already found…” / Twitter
You are welcome. True. I have not yet found this updated functionality described in the recent documentation on docs.microsoft.com.
I have seen this just today, the first time, in another tenant. Cloud-only. No SFB (hybrid) at all. Phone system licenses were assigned a few days ago. I did not yet find the reason.
What did I try so far?
– Tried different browsers… of course
– Assigned voice routing policy and calling policy first, waited a bit, re-tried via TAC. No change.
– Assigned the first phone number as in the past using Teams Shell and waited a few minutes, refreshed the TAC. No change, still greyed out (all users).
Assigned DR phone number in a greyed-out field.
– Now, I’ll wait some hours (till tomorrow) and re-check. Maybe it takes some time to get available after the first phone number assignment?
– I could imagine that the feature is maybe not yet fully available to all M365 tenants? (my demo/test tenant is configured for “targeted release for everyone” which might bring this earlier to my demo/test tenant). Just a guess.
Thanks for responding! Good to know I wasn’t the only one having this experience. Maybe it wasn’t ready for prime time just yet.
John K. Boslooper | Sr. Systems Engineer | Magenium Solutions
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for publishing this article! Microsoft doesn’t seem to have this on their website yet. When I go to assign a phone number through TAC, the “Assigned Phone Number” field under Direct Routing is greyed out and doesn’t let me add/change it. Any ideas why? It is a hybrid environment but the user is homed online.