In this post I like to highlight a small PowerShell-based tool which I wrote to enable users for Teams Direct Routing. As of now (June 2021) to enable users for Teams telephony (Direct Routing) you need to use PowerShell. This is basically no big deal because it’s always the same routine. However, based on my experience from the field there are many IT Pros and Admins out there which would like to have some graphical user interface (GUI) for this job.
That’s where my tool comes into play to provide a GUI.
Requirements and prerequisites
- Recent PowerShell version
- PowerShell Script Execution must be enabled (Get-/Set-ExecutionPolicy …)
- Microsoft Teams Module V2.3.1
- Microsoft 365 Global Admin or Skype for Business Administrator
Features V 0.2
- GUI for Teams Direct Routing user enablement
- Connect to Microsoft Teams (only with modern authentication)
- Disconnect Microsoft Teams
- List all users (initial loading, after connect, might take some time depending on your user count)
- Select a user
- Set a user’s Teams Upgrade mode to TeamsOnly
- Enable a user for Enterprise Voice
- Enable a user for Hosted Voicemail
- Set a user‘s phone number
- Assign a online voice routing policy
- Assign a calling policy
Bugs, issues and limitations V 0.2
- Not checking for assigned licsense sku or Assigned Plan for a listed or selected user
- No refresh of users after a change to a user was applied (disconnect, close, open, connect required)
- Even resource accounts are listed
- Changing resource account numbers is not implemented/supported (!)
- Deleting resource account‘s phone number is not implemented
- Deleting user phone numbers is not implemented
- No code-signed script
For more, check out my project’s GitHub repo where you can download it.
Please note I’m no developer. I wrote the the script in my leisure time and did it just for fun. Nevertheless feedback is welcome.
- GitHub Page: Welcome Teams User Number Assigner (TDR-UNA) | MicrosoftTeamsUserNumberAssigner (erik365online.github.io)
- GitHub Repo (Download): erik365online/MicrosoftTeamsUserNumberAssigner: This small PowerShell-based tool is intended to help you with enabling users for Microsoft Teams Direct Routing. (github.com)
Additional Notes – History – Version 0.1
With Version 0.1 I made just some test runs with previous Teams Modules. The alpha version needed some further testing and fine tuning. Furthermore I asked about the need via Twitter to get some feedback regarding if there are people who would like to have a tool as long as Microsoft is not providing a integrated admin experience in the Teams Admin Center.
Erik Kleefeldt auf Twitter: “Just trying to code a little: Teams Direct Routing User Number Assigner to assign onprem lineuri etc. What do you think? Should I go ahead with it? Well, I guess that there’ll be a feature to assign numbers via Teams Admin Center in future? #justforfun #MicrosoftTeams #Telephony https://t.co/xmmh5JBJ6S” / Twitter